Thursday 14 November 2013

Update - My Ironman Training Plan.

If i've done my maths correct, it's just over 18 weeks until my first Ironman triathlon!!

In the past few months my training has been a little spasmodic, with a niggling injury which required a bit of time off running (and missing the Melbourne Marathon), a week away for work, the 3 week road trip to the Sunshine Coast to do the Noosa triathlon -->> Linky to blog post! ... and as i write this, i'm just getting over a few days of stomach bug which has left my with absolutely no energy at all! (Oh, and we're away for the weekend, with minimal scope for training).

Hopefully come Monday, i'll be feeling fresh and ready to go!!

I've based my training program on the plans presented by Don Fink, in his book Be Iron Fit.


The main thrust of the program is that you will spend your day racing in your endurance / fat burning heart rate zone, so make your body effective at burning fat. This is achieved by doing 90% of your training in that HR zone.  

The program builds from 12 hours a week to 20 hours a week, before tapering over the final 3 weeks.  I believe the key is the increasing length of the zone 2 training, with an also increasing zone 4 (verging on anaerobic) intensity slotted into the end of most sessions.

I really have no idea whether this program is going to be sufficient to get me through or not. But apparently it's tried and tested, so i just have to believe it will and follow it! 

Three weeks before race day, the program calls for over 5 hours on Saturday backed up with over 7 hours on Sunday. If i can get through that and be fresh (?) enough for my next session, i'll know i'm ready for the Ironman!!

As well as the physical training required, nutrition is also VERY important...but that's for another blog post!

No comments:

Post a Comment