Thursday 11 April 2013

My 2 Bays 2013 Trail Run Experience (or If you can't be good at it, at least look good doing it) - REPOST

This was first posted on my other blog - but it thought it was worth a re-post here for obvious sporty reasons.

First a warning: I didn't know whether i was going to write this because it's very self indulgent in a "look at me, i injured myself but still finished" sort of way... But that was my race, and i wanted to record it.

The 2 Bays Trail Run is an event which is largely ignored by the mass participation event runners - but carved into the calendar for all local, and some interstate, trail / endurance / adventure racing types. 

It's a run of either 28km or 56km, depending upon your level of endurance or insanity. (My kids refer to my mate Graham, who came down from Qld to run, as crazy Graham - because he's doing the 56km...AGAIN!) 

The run, as the name suggests, follows the 2 Bays Trail - commencing at the Information Centre in Dromana and finishing near the lighthouse at Cape Schank. Well, it does for the 28km participants, the 56km runners start and finish at Cape Schank, dropping in at Dromana to turn around!

Apart from the trip up Arthur's Seat, which climbs in excess of 300m in 3km, the remainder of the trail would be best described as gently undulating (another ~360m of gain and ~600m of loss, in 25km).  The trail itself comprises numerous conditions underfoot, including shifting gravel, loose sand, boardwalk, fire trail, and packed sand with tree roots.  Just enough variation to ensure you spend most of the time carefully placing your feet to avoid coming unstuck...

The course and profile dump from my Garmin

The race itself commenced at 7am, and with my mate Graham (down from Qld to race - so Claire and the kids were his support crew also) running the 56km, required two drop off points prior to the start.  As his start was also the finish, it made sense that i'd get dropped first. So hello Dromana, it's not quite 6am - how you doing?

Luckily Steve from fstop5.com was also at Dromana early to catch me looking excited, nervous, clean...but most of all bright, in my Hawaiian Shirt. Little did i know, that would be the last time i smiled until the end was in sight... 

Looking nervously excited pre-race
Most photos courtesy of fstop5.com

Why on earth would you wear a Hawaiian Shirt to run 28km? i hear you ask (after asking why i would run 28km in the first place - why not)

To add a little colour and fun to the trail run, those wearing beachy type gear got to start at the front of the pack. So i figured i'd follow my sporting motto of "If you can't be good at it, at least look good doing it"...and off to the front row for the start i headed.

There i am...front row LHS - ready to race!

I'm in the far left of shot, looking over my shoulder just to check i'm not about to
be overtaken by any kinder age children ;)

And as you can see, after going about 10m about half the field had already passed me - but that was all part of my strategy...

So here i was starting a 28km trail run...let's look at my running career for a second...

Number of trail runs i've competed... 1, 15km in length with 330m gain...
Number of times i've run more than 20km... 3, 1 1/2 marathon race and 2 training runs...
How often i run hills...hmmm, i live in a reclaimed swamp...

This could really hurt!! 

To be fair, i've done a couple of triathlons which took in the order of 3 hours (probably should've taken closer to 2:40, or so...but we'll overlook that) so i knew if i kept my HR under control, and didn't trash myself in the first 3km dash up Arthur's Seat i should be OK. Hence my slow conservative start.

OK...now i'm finding my rhythm...


OK...going alright, i've made it up Arthur's Seat. 

There's no other way to describe that climb except brutal - with an average grade in excess of 10%.

But on the upside that's half the elevation gain done with, just gotta get through the other 25km or so and i should be OK...how's that view!

Note my elbow is free from blood and my LHS isn't covered in dirt...this is about to change!
The view from the trail was simply amazing.  The path cuts just below Seawinds Gardens, so the view which is normally obscured by trees is open to enjoy...

However, when one is running along a path covered with loose shifting rocks i strongly recommend stopping to enjoy the view...unlike i did...

Photo from http://twobayswalk.blogspot.com.au/
One minute i was running along - watching the path in front of me - feeling quite strong, the next i was looking over the Mornington Peninsula...within a split second i was in the middle of the path, blood streaming (nah - let's not get too dramatic) trickling down my arm and in pain, unable to move my ankle.

I must say that the support and concern from my fellow runners was fantastic. For the next minute, or so, as i lay on the side of the path wimpering, almost everyone who passed asked if i was OK, could i walk, did i need a bandage, etc - it was great to see! It was only later that it was suggested i was probably in the way and slowing them all down, hence the concern was a polite way of saying "Get the &^%$ out of the way!!" ;)

So after feeling sorry for myself for a while, i decided i'd trained hard (well i'd trained) for this and was going to finish.  The fact i was 25km from the line, and i'd never run that far before, let alone with an ankle that wouldn't move, was completely irrelevant.

So tentatively off i set. It wasn't long before i realised that i could only run hobble/jog with a flat foot, which mean't walking sideways down all the hills and doing some hybrid limp-jog-shuffle on the flats and uphill...but i was going forward...
Nearing the 10km mark, saw the photographer so put in a bit of a jog
10km down in about 75 minutes...my slowest 10km ever, but i was making progress. Only 18km to go. I've run 18k before, i can do this...

At about the 11-12km mark, the leaders of the 56km race (having done 16-17km) started coming from the other direction - man, these guys and gals were flying!!  I remember seeing Graham, luckily i was going uphill so i could actually run - once again, it's all about how you look when your mates see you. He was looking strong - a well inside the top 10!

It was great to see and hear the top 56km runners yelling support as they passed by. Having your name on your number bib is great...running along hearing "Go Tim" or "Go Hawaiian Shirt Dude" definitely gave me a lift.

There were also a few aid stations and road sections where you got contact from supporters - although most were there to support "their" person, they were generally cheering everyone.  You could hear the noise building from about 5 minutes away, and when you passed by the cheering, combined with your name was fantastic!!

So on i struggled, through some amazing scenery, just ticking away the km's...

20km down in about 2 hours 30 minutes...all i was thinking here was if i can get home inside 4 hours, it'll be auto entry next year! 8km...90 minutes...seemed achievable...

Now my foot really started to hurt. Previously i was able to do more limping-jog than walk, but now it was shifting - it was definitely more walking. The 6/7/8 min/km were being replaced by 8/9/10 min/km... just keep going forward... 

What was really frustrating was that as my foot was worsening i could no longer run on flats either, so it was walk on downs and flats, and jog uphill - which was pretty much the opposite of what everyone around me was doing - but on the upside, my energy levels were good and my legs were otherwise good, so when my ankle let me jog - i could!

25km down, 3km to go - those last 5km have taken me 43 minutes...oh look, the photographer...Run - ok, Jog...Smile :)

Bushranger's Bay - 25km gone...3km to go.  
The last 3km, took me over 27 minutes...i turned the final corner and i saw the finish gantry, then I saw Claire and the kids....i made it! 



Two thirds of the support crew!!
YEAH!! FINISHED!!!
Distance:     28km
Time:          3:37:18
Ave Pace:    7:49 min/km

I was hoping to go sub 6 min/km - so about 2:48...but i'd finished...

Bloodied and bruised...but very, very happy!

And enjoying putting the race medallion to good use...

CHEERS!!
The below video comes from http://wildplans.com/ and gives a great overview of the trail and the fantastic spirit of the competitors...


Thanks to everyone involved in putting on the race: the organisers, volunteers, and fellow trail runners, it's a fantastic event!!

As I write this, with my ankle ligaments trashed and hobbling around on crutches, I don't know whether I'll be around for the event next year, due to it being our normal family holiday time - but i'll definitely be running the trail again, i've got unfinished business!!

No comments:

Post a Comment