Monday 8 April 2013

My (lack of) Xterra Experience or The Race That Summed Up My Season...

When i planned out my season, Xterra Great Ocean Road off-road triathlon was going to be a fun way to end my triathlon season, which was going to go: Noosa OD; Sandringham OD: Portarlington Long Course; and Xterra GOR Long Course.

Things didn't really go as planned.  Injuries (and, i think, low electrolyte replacement) saw Noosa not quite turn out as well as i hoped.  Then an ankle injury sustained during the 2 Bays Trail Run meant i couldn't race Sandringham or Portarlington. So Xterra had all my focus.

In the weeks leading up i was feeling ready. My open water swimming was strong (for me), my MTB skills were improving, and my running (considering lack of training since 2 Bays) was solid.

Well, as Murphy would have it - the week before the race i got sick...BUGGER!! Wednesday / Thursday / Friday off work... easy run over part of the course Saturday felt OK. Yeah, i'm still a shot, let's do this. 

Nice simple pasta for dinner and a good sleep and come Sunday morning i was ready to go!!

Bike racked - front right corner #199 - and transition laid out.


Wetsuit on and ready to go, was a balmy 20 deg C at race start, with a freshening offshore wind blowing. Yep, feeling good, this'll be fun :)


Well...that swim was way too energy sapping.  The 1 k swim was a chore, the conditions were ideal (a little lumpy out the back, but as you can see from the above photo, no swell to speak of) - but i just had nothing, upon exiting the water i had walk and even stop on the way back to transition...

So had some water, downed a gel and thought - this is OK, i'll take the bike easy and hopefully i'll have something left for the run...


Take the bike easy - had i forgotten the ride i did last weekend! There was nowhere to hide on this bike course, it was up and down, round and through, some rutted tough uphill sections followed by fast flowing downhills and single track - my legs had absolutely nothing. downed another gel, took some gatorade - nothing!!

After about 6km the Hurst Road hill was looming - i thought, OK, i'll get up this and then just ease through the internal loop. Nobody in the long course is left behind me, so i'm not going to get in the way - yep, still a shot at getting on the run...

Nup! Wrong! The Hurst Road Hill Smashed ME! I got to the top - yes i was determined to make it to the top - and had to stop. 

To put it in perspective, it's 60m overall gain in a bit over 2k with a few downs and flats, with the final pinch maxing out at a touch over 13%, so not that tough really.  Last weekend i did it in about 9 minutes, according to Strava the KOM (i just created the segment for this comparison) is bit under 7 minutes...yesterday over 13 minutes...

RACE OVER!! I knew what was left to race, and i had nothing left...my first ever DNF!

It was disappointing to have to pull out - but i gave it all i had... so this one gets added to the "I will return and complete" list!

Thanks to Bec (random support crew of another entrant), who gave me and bike a lift back into Anglesea! Gotta love the friendly nature of the adventure sport crowd!!!


And a massive thanks to Claire for once again playing support crew on another one of my crazy adventures... :) 



No comments:

Post a Comment